Monday 21 April 2014

Week Fourteen - Home Is Where The Heart Is...

...it may be a diseased heart (the East End of Glasgow has the shortest life expectancy of anywhere in the UK we' ve been told this week)...



...it may be a cruel heart (apparently Glasgow is also the murder capital of Europe with 71 murders last year)...

...but Glasgow has a HUGE heart and that's why; after thirteen weeks away; I can confirm that I'm proud to call it home.



Those of you who know me know that I've spent many years travelling for extended periods to Aus and NZ.  I always used to dread that sense of coming back, the point at which you hear the broad Glaswegian accents as you start your flight from Dubai to Glasgow, the feeling that anything exciting and exotic was leaving your life every mile you travelled back.

That is not how it is now.  I've always loved my country and my city but it almost gets more deeply ingrained every time you come home.  The older you get the more you appreciate different things in life...coming home to your family and gorgeous nephews...



...seeing all your friends and family again and reconnecting with the people who are part of your life on a day to day basis and who truly are your family, my own bed, my dressing gown, my Nespresso machine, my mums much loved marmalade (£3.50 a jar if anyone wants some let me know....only joking mum?!?!).  Not only that but the city feels like it's buzzing at the moment in what is a big year for Scotland.  The weather is unusually stunning, everyone is relaxed for Easter, there appears to be a sense of optimism in the business community with an amazing number of retail outlets up and running again since I've left.  The people are as vibrant as ever.  I love this city.

I have had a ball whilst I've been away, I have learned masses about wine and so much more, I've re calibrated my life to be about more than a corporate job, I'm very grateful to those who have been so hospitable to me and who made my trip so amazing...but I'm loving being home.  I haven't sat still since I got back....the boxes are yet to be unpacked, the mail is yet to be trawled through, the small jobs around the house are yet to be fixed...because I've prioritised catching up with all of those who are important to me and to getting out and seeing my city and country with a slightly different perspective and with a desire to be as mesmerised by it as I have been by New Zealand.

I am also very excited by what lies ahead and hope that you're all still up for coming on the journey with me.  So what does lie ahead?  There have been three approaches for corporate contractor positions in the last week and I've said no to them all because for the last fifteen years I've wanted to own my own business and if it's not now then it's never.  So tomorrow I am back to work...a discipline I need to make sure I make as I start the transition to a successful business owner.  The next few weeks are all about testing the viability of three different business ideas with a view to getting them all up and running in the next year or so.  One is an absolute priority to bring some income in, one is a labour of love and one may not even get off the ground.  I'm not sharing them widely at the moment until I've done my homework and put some business plans on paper.  So you'll have to watch this space to find out more.  The next ten days is about getting the business plan for the first documented and also getting my house set up to start letting out for holiday lets....if anyone knows of anyone looking for accomodation for the Commonwealth Games, Ryder Cup, Independence Referendum or any other reason then please let me know as it will soon be available to rent!!  

So here's to adventures that take us far afield and ultimately refresh our energy and love of the places we call home (even if they are allegedly scary and unhealthy!!)

Whilst in London and Glasgow I...

...HUNG OUT AT...Finlaystone with Ev on Friday and today at the Falkirk to Linlithgow leg of the brand new John Muir Path, a new west to east coast long distance walk, with Mrs Potter.  What a stunning day, stunning scenery and good bit of exercise (10 mile walk)...

Finlaystone 




...WINED ON...Denbies wines.  Whilst in London I couldn't miss the opportunity to go and visit one of England's vineyards and wineries.  So it was Denbies at Box Hill (Dorking), Surrey, right next to the main road to London (quite a contrast to the rural settings of Marlborough.  It was great to see the vines at the start of the season round about when the bud burst starts and leaves and shoots start to appear (I'd been too late to see that in NZ so it completed the circle).  



The way the wine tastings were run left quite a bit to be desired (this was more like a big garden centre with a small corner dedicated to wines).  The wine samples were served in the tiny little plastic shot glasses and the person running it was splitting their time between pouring and processing the sales from the gift shop. Somewhat wrongly focused business for a vineyard and winery??  The wines were reasonable but I wouldn't recommend many.  Instead here are the recommendations from last weeks course that I promised you....

1.  Vigneti del Vulture Aglianico del Vulture 'Pipolo' 2020, Liberty Wines, £10.99
2. Abadia De San Campio AlbariƱo, Cave de Pyrenne, £13.99
3. Alvaro Palacios Camins del Priorat 2012, Fields Morris & Verdin, £13.49
4. Tabali Reserva Carmenere, Boutinot, £9.99
5. Colome Torrontes, Liberty Wines, £10.99

If you'd like to know more about these let me know.

...DINED ON...a beautiful extended family affair of a three course lunch at my house on Easter Sunday.  Thanks to all for your contributions....it may have been bedlam but the food was beautiful and the kids had a ball.  PS I've held back on the photos to protect those sitting outside in the sun with a huge blanket over them (you know who you are). Also as always the Italian tapas and hospitality at Wee Cucina, Giffnock was stunning.  

So I hope you've all had a great weekend off and look forward to shifting the focus of this blog to be about the trials and tribulations of getting a business or two up and running...I hope you're interested to keep following me.  Let me know.

Have a great week

G

No comments:

Post a Comment