Saturday 1 November 2014

Week Forty Two: Brace Brace - South America we're on our way

So roughly eight months after booking my cousin Claire and I are heading off to South America tomorrow (hence the slightly early post this week).

There was a conversation the other day as to whether this was a holiday, a trip or an adventure?  I think it is a cross between a trip and an adventure - I certainly don't expect to come home rested and revived (my definition of a holiday).

I am embarrassed to say I have done very very little research about what we are doing, where we are going or what I want out of the trip - all I know is that I have about 28 hours in airports and on planes from tomorrow which is plenty of time to work it out with my trusted guidebook!! (as an aside have you ever noted there are certain types of books you just can't commit to kindle - fiction yes, some factual yes but cook books and travel books for me still have to be physical things you can flick through).

Scarier than the fact I've done no research, have no plan and haven't even thought about learning any Spanish - Claire is actually the one holding all the trip documentation - challenging my parameters and I haven't even left the country yet - only joking darling cuz - well I say that but as soon as I meet you at the airport I want them (actually for once no I don't - it will be nice for The Concierge to not be the one in charge of proceedings for a change).

So as I sit on the cusp of departure (after a very manic fortnight of running around to get both The Concierge and my other venture under control before I leave) I am excited to be undertaking such a huge adventure, looking forward to experiencing it with my cousin and Gareth when he joins us but also filled with a little bit of trepidation at the same time when it comes to such activities as walking the Inca Trail at altitude with freezing temperatures at night and camping.  Hazel McKellar can you believe that after all those years of homesickness on guide camps I am now out there having these adventures?  Here's the list of what we have to take and can you believe I'm not taking make up (scary thought I know) and other than outdoor gear only have one nice pair of shoes, a dress and a cardi with me for evenings.  The rest is all camping trousers, t-shirts, thermals and walking boots etc.  PS the ticks on the list are now meaningless - I do have all I realistically think I need.



So what is in-store for this first week of the trip.  Well we meet (hopefully) at Santiago airport on Monday - me flying in via Heathrow (with a two hour dash between terminals) and Dallas and Claire with a lovely direct flight from Auckland arriving an hour later - will we both get there on time?  Will we meet each other?  We'll soon find out.  Our first night is spent at the airport hotel as we have to be up and checked in at 3:30am for two flights to get us to Iquitos and a 50 mile boat journey down the Amazon to Explorama lodge for four days of exploration of the Amazon.  We then head back to Iquitos and Lima ready to join the next leg of our trip exploring the Inca Heartlands.

Rather than reel off all we are doing in our first week I have attached the pictures of our itinerary.  Other than the malaria threat, the insects/spiders etc etc I'm really looking forward to this part of the trip and do find it somewhat surreal to say that on Tuesday I'll be in The Amazon!!  I'll not give away any more of the itinerary at the moment but will impart it week on week in the hope of engaging you and sharing this trip with you.  Subject to wifi connection the blog will continue throughout.





So wish South America luck - Claire and Gillian are on the way - and the first point of success is meeting each other at the airport - watch this space as there are bound to be a few tales and memories made along the way.

Whilst running round like a lunatic in preparation and not sleeping I...

...HUNG OUT AT...the virtual office of The Concierge getting everything in order before leaving...

...WINED ON...something every night to calm the nerves.  The most notable wine of the week was this one - a stunningly velvety Negroamaro full of vanilla and dark fruits - beautiful.  There was also Kung Fu Girl Riesling from Washington State which was great with food but got slightly sweet on its own...


...DINED ON...a lovely Italian dinner this evening with la famiglia at Volare in Newton Mearns.  It was a lovely meal with the kids and mum and Stuart and Jane and I enjoyed a dish reminiscent of one of my favourites but slightly different; Panciotti con Melanzana e Scarmoza; pasta parcels stuffed with aubergine, smoked cheese, fresh basil and parmesan served with a tomato and basil sauce, rocket and parmesan shavings - yum yum yum.

So that's me but one last thing before I go - a huge thank you to everyone who has made going away possible for someone who is trying to be a bit entrepreneurial and set up a couple of businesses at the moment.  Special mention to mum, Edele, Stuart, Jane, Claire McCulloch, Mrs Sandler, others I won't mention to do with 'the other business' and Kirsten at clarkston.com.  You and others are all doing their bit to allow me to go away and I am very very grateful.

Looking forward to sharing The Amazon next week.

G xx




No comments:

Post a Comment